We all remember our first day at work - the uncertainty, curiosity and fear. But some first days are a lot worse than others. In 1986 my contract with the Medical Research Council was due to come to an end, and I accepted an invitation to apply for a new post of Director of Planning and Information at what was then the Mental Health Unit of Central Birmingham Health Authority. Since I was the only candidate for the post, the job was mine. The Unit had been under the temporary management of a psychiatrist (Dr Patsy Goodyear) until the first of the new NHS general managers could take post. My appointment was intended to promote the very innovative ideas for mental health services developed by Dr Goodyear, and her colleague Dr Michael Radford. We were later joined by a superb psychogeriatrician Dr Hilary Nissenbaum.
On my first day, I arrived at the John Connolly Hospital. This was a rather battered building, dating from the 1960s,, which had originally developed a reputation as a rather non-conformist therapeutic community. By 1986, it had become a more standard inpatient unit, admitting patients from designated city wards in Birmingham, divided into ‘adult’ and ‘elderly’. Nevertheless, the Hospital was in a pleasant open space, patients could come and go easily, and patients and nurses would kick a ball around in front of the hospital at lunchtimes.
After arriving at reception, I was met by an efficient personnel officer and shown to my ‘office’. This was actually a partly-enclosed space in a corridor next to the toilets. There was a very old desk and chair, and a broken telephone. I gathered that my arrival was not welcomed by all the senior staff in the Unit. There was no induction training, or any indication of what I should do, so I wandered round making appointments to see whoever I could. Later that day, a cheery bricklayer arrived and began to wall me in to create a room. In the next few days, better office equipment arrived, I met the Unit General Manager, and began to be useful.
Over the four years I was in the post, the Unit planned and opened a phenomenal range of innovative services: inter-disciplinary mental health resource centres, the first team in the UK to treat people with acute and severe mental disorders in their own home, an intermediate treatment unit in an old people’s home, and community psychiatric nursing teams that recruited from all languages in the City, while we also planned (with Professor Ian Brockington) a new specialist academic psychiatric inpatient unit at the Queen Elizabeth site. We were therefore in process of developing something quite different from the model of psychiatric services which had been government policy from the mid 1970s. I also helped develop a low-cost computer system which generated rather better data than the expensive Patient Administration System (PAS) promoted by the computer companies and their satraps in different parts of NHS management.
Unfortunately, the satraps won. Central Birmingham Health Authority was merged with its equivalent in South Birmingham, and the combined mental health unit fell under the control of managers and senior nurses who had learnt their trade in big old-fashioned psychiatric hospitals. They were suspicious of academic clinical units, and naturally committed themselves to PAS. The new inpatient psychiatric unit opened in 1991, but became over-crowded. It was demolished 15 years later to make room for a new general hospital, and its replacement is a typically-plush product of a PFI deal. But as you pass it on the railway line, you can see the tiny exercise spaces and the high fences round the inpatient wards. This is to some degree the consequence of the very reforms we promoted. As more and more patients with acute mental illness were treated at home, only the most dangerous and disturbed were still admitted to inpatient care. Psychiatric hospitals became progressively more restrictive.
Our dynamic staff team was also demolished. People retired or moved to new posts. The general management team fell into disarray, and the general manager developed an interest in setting up his own private nursing home. One day, without warning, his office had been cleared and he was never seen at the hospital again. I left in 1990, and, to my great surprise, became an academic. However, I still look back on my four years in the NHS as the time in my working life when I was most useful.
On my first day, I arrived at the John Connolly Hospital. This was a rather battered building, dating from the 1960s,, which had originally developed a reputation as a rather non-conformist therapeutic community. By 1986, it had become a more standard inpatient unit, admitting patients from designated city wards in Birmingham, divided into ‘adult’ and ‘elderly’. Nevertheless, the Hospital was in a pleasant open space, patients could come and go easily, and patients and nurses would kick a ball around in front of the hospital at lunchtimes.
After arriving at reception, I was met by an efficient personnel officer and shown to my ‘office’. This was actually a partly-enclosed space in a corridor next to the toilets. There was a very old desk and chair, and a broken telephone. I gathered that my arrival was not welcomed by all the senior staff in the Unit. There was no induction training, or any indication of what I should do, so I wandered round making appointments to see whoever I could. Later that day, a cheery bricklayer arrived and began to wall me in to create a room. In the next few days, better office equipment arrived, I met the Unit General Manager, and began to be useful.
Over the four years I was in the post, the Unit planned and opened a phenomenal range of innovative services: inter-disciplinary mental health resource centres, the first team in the UK to treat people with acute and severe mental disorders in their own home, an intermediate treatment unit in an old people’s home, and community psychiatric nursing teams that recruited from all languages in the City, while we also planned (with Professor Ian Brockington) a new specialist academic psychiatric inpatient unit at the Queen Elizabeth site. We were therefore in process of developing something quite different from the model of psychiatric services which had been government policy from the mid 1970s. I also helped develop a low-cost computer system which generated rather better data than the expensive Patient Administration System (PAS) promoted by the computer companies and their satraps in different parts of NHS management.
Unfortunately, the satraps won. Central Birmingham Health Authority was merged with its equivalent in South Birmingham, and the combined mental health unit fell under the control of managers and senior nurses who had learnt their trade in big old-fashioned psychiatric hospitals. They were suspicious of academic clinical units, and naturally committed themselves to PAS. The new inpatient psychiatric unit opened in 1991, but became over-crowded. It was demolished 15 years later to make room for a new general hospital, and its replacement is a typically-plush product of a PFI deal. But as you pass it on the railway line, you can see the tiny exercise spaces and the high fences round the inpatient wards. This is to some degree the consequence of the very reforms we promoted. As more and more patients with acute mental illness were treated at home, only the most dangerous and disturbed were still admitted to inpatient care. Psychiatric hospitals became progressively more restrictive.
Our dynamic staff team was also demolished. People retired or moved to new posts. The general management team fell into disarray, and the general manager developed an interest in setting up his own private nursing home. One day, without warning, his office had been cleared and he was never seen at the hospital again. I left in 1990, and, to my great surprise, became an academic. However, I still look back on my four years in the NHS as the time in my working life when I was most useful.
I well remember my first few days at the JC as a charge nurse - frightened me to death but soon loved the place and fond memories of Dr patsy goodyear
ReplyDeleteThank you for this detailed information! This is some of the good quality content that i needed.
ReplyDeleteI was actually a patient in JC for 16 mths , mine was abuse as a child so really not the place I should of been in but that was the start of my journey to where I am now . Dr Goodyear was my consultant and I remember she was lovely with me . Wish I could tell her how good I am today and living a relatively normal life . Very mixed memories but will never forget.
ReplyDeleteIf anyone knows where all our notes went from then I’d appreciate if they could let me know please . I was known as Tracy Brigden then and lived In Birmingham, I am now Tracy Lumb and number is 07741286208 , I was in the hospital JC in 1987 September.
DeleteI really like how this article emphasizes the need for timely and accessible mental health care. Many individuals face challenges that require professional guidance, yet finding the right support can be difficult. Having specialized care available locally can truly make a difference in people’s lives. Psychiatric Services in Nevada are helping communities by providing treatment options that address both emotional and psychological needs. It’s encouraging to see such efforts dedicated to improving mental wellness.
ReplyDeleteThis is such an insightful article on ADHD in children. It’s very true that many parents struggle to notice the warning signs until things become more difficult. At childrenpsych, we’ve seen how addressing these issues early can greatly enhance a child’s confidence and attention span. Your post helps raise awareness about something that impacts so many families. Thank you for highlighting this important topic.
ReplyDeleteReally thoughtful writing. Your story captures the mix of uncertainty and opportunity that comes with starting out.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your take on those early work experiences — so many emotions, new expectations, and learning curves. On a somewhat different note, for readers who might also be looking into car dealers or want to check customer feedback, here’s a review resource that might be useful: Mint Auto Sales Orlando, Fl Reviews. Always good to see what others have experienced before making decisions.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI recently found many useful information in your website especially this blog page. Among the lots of comments on your articles. Thanks for sharing. پیش بینی فوتبال امشب
ReplyDeleteI always compare customer feedback before choosing a dealership, and these Mint Auto Sales Orlando reviews provide useful insights from previous buyers. Reading real experiences can help shoppers better understand the dealership and make a more informed purchasing decision.
ReplyDeleteBagi yang ingin mencari referensi angka harian, prediksi togel macau dapat menjadi salah satu topik yang sering dicari untuk menambah wawasanmy desi mms xxx
ReplyDeleteThank you for publishing content that supports learning and encourages meaningful engagement with important industry trends. qr code latest youtube video
ReplyDeleteMy partner and i bookmared your internet site a couple of days ago coz your blog impresses me personally. slot online gacor
ReplyDeleteHiya. Very nice website!! Man .. Beautiful .. Wonderful .. I’ll bookmark your blog and take the feeds additionally…I’m happy to find so much helpful information right here within the post. Thanks for sharing… slot resmi
ReplyDeleteHomiatoto provides an easy-to-explore platform where visitors can become familiar with its structure, available sections, and features while enjoying a comfortable browsing experience. Homiatoto
ReplyDeleteThere is something exciting about finding a new game online that you have never tried before. Different gameplay ideas can make each gaming session feel fresh.
ReplyDeleteThis post offers useful perspectives that encourage readers to explore additional opportunities for learning and development. situs slot
ReplyDeleteThis discussion offers valuable knowledge while maintaining an engaging style that encourages continued reading and learning. slot88
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading this article because it combines valuable insights with strong organization and effective communication. slot88
ReplyDeleteI found several interesting takeaways in this article, particularly the practical examples that illustrate key points effectively. situs slot
ReplyDeleteI appreciate the professional presentation because it enhances credibility while maintaining reader engagement throughout.
ReplyDeleteMy partner and i bookmared your internet site a couple of days ago coz your blog impresses me personally. colorectal surgeon
ReplyDeleteအံ့သြဖွယ်ကောင်းတဲ့ စည်းချက်! ခင်ဗျားရဲ့ဝက်ဘ်ဆိုက်ကို ပြင်ဆင်နေတုန်း ကျွန်တော် သင်တန်းတက်ချင်ပါတယ်၊ ဘလော့ဂ်ဝက်ဘ်ဆိုက်အတွက် ဘယ်လိုစာရင်းသွင်းရမလဲ။ အကောင့်က ကျွန်တော့်ကို အသုံးဝင်တဲ့သဘောတူညီချက်တစ်ခု ပေးခဲ့ပါတယ်။ ခင်ဗျားရဲ့ထုတ်လွှင့်မှုက တောက်ပတဲ့ပွင့်လင်းတဲ့အကြံဥာဏ်ကို ပေးစွမ်းခဲ့တာကို ကျွန်တော်အနည်းငယ်သိပါတယ်။ ibet789 myanmar
ReplyDeleteHey rather cool internet web-site!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I’ll bookmark your internet site and take the feeds also’I'm happy to uncover numerous beneficial details right here inside the submit, we will need develop far more strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . . slot777
ReplyDeletehey was just seeing if you minded a comment. i like your site and the theme you picked is super. I will be back. kartupoker
ReplyDeleteNow we know who the ssebnile one is here. Great post! wadah game virtual macaugg
ReplyDeleteIt’s excellent page, I was looking for something like this Cv review service UK
ReplyDeleteGrand poteau ! Merci pour prendre le temps d’écrire quelque chose qui est réellement en valeur la lecture. Trop souvent je trouve l’information inutile et pas quelque chose qui sont réellement appropriées. Merci pour votre dur labeur. platform permainan macaugg
ReplyDeleteMainkan permainan seru dengan Slot Deposit 5000 termurah! Cukup modal Slot Depo 5k, kamu sudah bisa nikmati ribuan game favorit dengan peluang menang besar tiap hari. Temukan sensasi gacor di Slot Depo 5000 sekarang dan raih jackpotnya! Slot Depo 5k
ReplyDeleteThe when Someone said a weblog, Lets hope which it doesnt disappoint me up to this. After all, I know it was my solution to read, but I just thought youd have something interesting to convey. All I hear is usually a couple of whining about something you could fix if you werent too busy in search of attention. toto togel
ReplyDeleteThis is a great blog. and i want to visit this every day of the week . bandar slot
ReplyDeletei would always love to hear those christmas music with a very happy tune’ colok sgp
ReplyDeleteAs the expert, I can assist. Together we can find the decision. slot online
ReplyDeleteThe article offers valuable takeaways that readers can apply in various situations while continuing to learn more. rdp.monster RDP hosting
ReplyDeletedance shoes that are shiny are the most cool stuff that you could possibly wear** https://ulartotoalternatif.com/
ReplyDeleteYfter all thats enounced and done I m curious to have word the amount of peoples truly realise the writer has merely revealed. Thanks. https://ulartotoalternatif.com/
ReplyDeleteThe examples included in this article help illustrate important concepts and improve overall comprehension for readers. new blush launches october 2026
ReplyDeleteDo you have a spam issue on this website; I also am a blogger, and I was wondering your situation; many of us have developed some nice procedures and we are looking to exchange methods with other folks, why not shoot me an email if interested. alexis togel
ReplyDeleteNice post. I find out some thing more challenging on diverse blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to see content using their company writers and rehearse a specific thing from their store. I’d prefer to use some with all the content on my weblog regardless of whether you do not mind. Natually I’ll provide a link on your web blog. Thank you sharing. alexistogel daftar
ReplyDeleteThis is really important, You’re a remarkably expert article author. I’ve joined with your feed and also count on reading your excellent write-ups. In addition to that, I’ve shared your websites inside our web pages. slot gacor
ReplyDeleteCan I just now say what a relief to uncover someone who actually knows what theyre preaching about over the internet. You actually realize how to bring a concern to light and produce it critical. More and more people need to ought to see this and understand this side from the story. I cant believe youre less well-liked when you definitely provide the gift. alexistogel
ReplyDelete